Aug 18, 2019  
2015-2016 GRADUATE Catalog 

Cost & Financial Aid


Tuition per credit, 2014-2015

  • Vermont Residents: $511
  • Out-of-State Resident: $1,103
  • New England Award Recipients*: $767

*The New England Award is available to eligible students from Canada (all provinces; all JSC graduate degrees) and New Hampshire and Rhode Island (M.F.A. in Studio Arts only). It represents 150% of the in-state tuition rate.

For details about the Vermont State Colleges’ in-state residency requirements (VSC Policy 301), visit

Financial Aid

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are available to students enrolled in graduate programs. In order to be considered, students must first complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Loan eligibility is determined by JSC’s Office of Financial Aid.

In order to receive a federal loan, a student must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen, have a valid Social Security number and be enrolled in at least 4.5 credit hours in a graduate program. Students cannot owe a refund on previously awarded financial aid, and they must be registered with Selective Service (if required) and be making satisfactory academic progress once enrolled.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loans

Unsubsidized loans are determined by the student’s cost of attendance, not the student’s financial need. The interest rate is fixed. The federal government does not pay the interest while the student is enrolled. Repayment begins six months after the student graduates; is no longer enrolled at least half time or withdraws from the College.

Graduate Direct PLUS Loans

Graduate PLUS loans are another resource for students in graduate study. Need is determined based on the cost of attendance minus the unsubsidized loan, and credit approval is required. Graduate students must first borrow the maximum unsubsidized loan amount before they can receive a PLUS loan. Contact Student Financial Services for more information.

M.A. in Education Scholarships

JSC offers two scholarships for graduate students in education: the Doris Spencer and the Bover/Graves/Story scholarships. Students are notified via email when applications are available, usually in early December.

Satisfactory Academic Progress, GPA & PACE Requirements

In order to maintain eligibility for federal financial aid, students make “satisfactory academic progress” (SAP) at a pace that ensures they complete their degree within the maximum time frame allowed, as measured by credit-completion rates. M.A. degree time frames are determined by program.

The second requirement is to maintain good academic standing as measured by cumulative grade point average (GPA). Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Cumulative GPA includes all terms of your enrollment at JSC.

Students must successfully complete at least 67 percent of the total credits in which they are enrolled. Example: If you enroll in a total of 30 credits during the fall and spring semesters, you must successfully complete at least 20 credits. (30 credits x 67% = 20 credits). This is the minimum that must be completed.

Successful completion of credit hours for graduate students is represented by passing grades of A, A-, B, B- and P. Graduate students may repeat previously passed courses just once and may repeat failed courses until receiving a passing grade and be allowed to receive financial aid for the repeat. All repeat attempts are included in the pace and maximum-timeframe calculations.

Students’ records will be reviewed on an annual basis after the completion of the spring semester to assess compliance with this policy. All semesters of enrollment, including summer and periods in which the student did not receive federal aid, are considered in the determination of SAP.

Students not making satisfactory academic progress (either via the GPA requirement or the pace requirement PACE) will have their financial aid eligibility suspended. Students whose aid eligibility has been suspended have the option to appeal to the Financial Aid Review Board for reinstatement of their financial aid eligibility. Students who are academically dismissed from the College are automatically recognized as failing to meet SAP standards.

Veterans’ Benefits

If you are a veteran or a dependent of a veteran eligible for educational benefits, contact Tammy Goss, JSC’s designated VA certifying official, at or 802-635-1227. She can help you navigate the process and make sure your program of study qualifies for benefits.

The financial aid information presented here is an overview. Visit or for details about awards and procedures.