Oct 20, 2019  
2015-2016 GRADUATE Catalog 

Applying & General Information

How to Apply

To apply for admission to any Johnson State College graduate program, visit www.jsc.edu/Apply, select the link for graduate programs, then choose the appropriate application:

  • M.A. in Education
  • M.A. in Counseling
  • M.F.A. in Studio Arts

If you have difficulty accessing the online application, contact the Office of Graduate Admissions by phone (802-635-1244 or 800-635-2356 toll free) or by email to Catherine.Higley@jsc.edu.

Required Materials

Requirements vary depending on the program to which you are applying; specifics are noted on the application. In general, however, all graduate programs require the following in addition to the application:

  • An official transcript from all previous colleges and/or universities attended
  • Three recommendations from professors or other professionals who know the quality of your preparation or who can attest to your character and skills
  • A two-page essay explaining your interest in graduate study
  • A personal interview after JSC receives all required materials

International Applicants

If you are a non-U.S. applicant, you also need to provide:

  • Financial documentation for immigration purposes equal to one year’s expenses (see the Financial Documentation form)
  • Your Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report, if English is not your native language. Visit www.ets.org for more information.

General Information

Health & Accident Insurance

All full-time graduate students (those taking 9 credits or more a semester) who do not have other insurance coverage are required to subscribe to a health and accident insurance policy through Johnson State College. Proof of insurance coverage is required in order to be exempt from coverage through the College insurance. Coverage begins mid-August and is valid for 12 months. Check with Student Financial Services for deadline dates, prorated costs, etc.

Identification Cards

Each student is issued a Johnson State College photo identification card free of charge. A fee is required in order to replace a lost ID. The card is used as a library card for borrowing books as well as for entrance to the SHAPE Center and select campus events and facilities. Cards are issued by the Office of Public Safety.

Parking on Campus

A parking permit is required in order to park in a JSC lot. Permits are issued by the Office of Public Safety. A fee applies, and you must provide a copy of your vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Call 802-635-1205 for more information.

Access to Campus Facilities

Graduate students have free access to all JSC facilities. Students are encouraged to make use of the Willey Library & Learning Center, the 24-hour computer lab and other computer labs on campus, the Summit Bookstore in Dewey Hall, Dibden Center for the Arts, the Julian Scott Memorial Gallery in Dibden Center, and other campus facilities, including the disc golf course, tennis courts, walking trails, snowboard terrain park and hiking trails. As well, graduate students are welcome and encouraged to attend varsity games and the numerous educational and entertainment events held on campus year-round.

Campus Safety & Security

The Office of Public Safety is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year-round. An officer on duty can be reached anytime by calling 802-635-1205 (or 1205 from a campus phone).

Students are automatically signed up for the College’s emergency “e2campus” phone and text-messaging service upon enrollment, which enables the College to provide immediate notification in the event of an emergency or campus closure.

Federal Clery Act Compliance

In compliance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy & Campus Statistics Act [20 USC 1092(f)], JSC’s Department of Public Safety prepares, publishes and distributes an annual campus security and fire safety report each October 1 for the purpose of disclosing campus crime and fire statistics, security policies and enforcement. This report includes information about the College’s alcohol and drug policies, sexual assault education and prevention programs, and procedures for reporting and handling reports of sexual assaults. The report is available online at www.jsc.edu/offices-non-academic-departments/public-safety/campus-safety-information.