Nov 19, 2019  
2015-2016 GRADUATE Catalog 

Academic Regulations & Requirements


Electronic registration precedes each semester. Visit to apply online, or request a paper registration form from the Graduate Office at 802-635-1244 or via email to Full payment or deferred payment forms should accompany the registration form. JSC faculty will work only with students whose registrations are current. Contact the Graduate Office if you have any questions.

Class Attendance

Students who register for a course prior to the first week of the semester or during the first day of the semester are expected to attend at least one of the first two class sessions. A faculty member may fill absent places with students wishing to enter the course and refuse entry to absent students when they appear. Faculty members may also refuse to admit a student to the class after the beginning of the semester, if they believe that the student cannot complete missed work.

Note: If students are refused entry into a class because of the above circumstances, they must still officially drop that course from their schedule at the Registrar’s Office. Tuition refunds which might be due will be made only on the basis of a properly filed drop form, regardless of the student’s actual attendance at the class.

Adding, Dropping & Withdrawing from Courses

Students adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a course must complete a Registration Adjustment Form with the Registrar’s Office. The following deadlines and guidelines apply:

  • Full-semester courses, including independent study courses, may be added only until the end of the second week of the semester.
  • Full-semester courses may be dropped until the end of the second week of the semester.
  • Full-semester courses may be withdrawn until the end of the ninth week of the semester.

The Registrar will publish the exact dates on which these deadlines fall. To add or drop a course beyond the specified deadline, a student must appeal to the Graduate Committee. Students may withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline only with the approval of the Graduate Committee. If the request is granted, the course will appear on the transcript with a “W.” The withdrawal will not affect a student’s grade point average. There are no financial refunds for approved late withdrawals.

Note: Graduate courses (course catalog numbers 5000 and above) are open to undergraduates only with the permission of the instructor.

Auditing Courses

No credit or grades are assigned for audited courses. A per-credit tuition fee of one-half of in-state or out-of-state rates, whichever applies, is charged. Students wishing to audit a course should follow normal registration procedures, indicating AU as their grade option on the course registration form.The choice to audit a course must be made prior to the end of the add/drop period. Audit rates apply only to courses with full tuition rates and not to extension courses or courses with special/reduced rates.

Non-matriculated Students

Students who have a bachelor’s degree but are not matriculated in one of the college’s graduate programs may enroll in open graduate courses after the designated registration for matriculated graduate students (see for specific dates).

Plan of Study

Matriculated students in each of the college’s graduate programs must have their Plan of Study accepted by their advisor before completing 12 graduate credits at JSC.


Passing Grades

Students in graduate courses are graded on a continuum from A through F. Graduate credit is granted when grades of A or B (including B-) are earned. However, performance at the C+ through F level is graded as “F” (Unsatisfactory) and earns no credit. A Pass/No Pass option is available for some courses in the Counseling Program and all courses within the M.F.A. degree are graded Pass/No Pass.


A grade of Incomplete (I) will be given to work of satisfactory quality in a course when the full amount of required work has not been completed because of illness or other reasons beyond the control of the student. It cannot be used instead of the grade of F in situations involving a student’s lack of ability or negligence. The student has until the seventh week of the next regular semester (excluding the summer semester) to complete the work, although the instructor may impose a shorter deadline. This mid-semester deadline applies regardless of whether the student is enrolled during the semester. When the student completes the work, the Incomplete is replaced with the final grade. In assigning an Incomplete, the instructor is required to designate what grade should be recorded if the student fails to complete the work by the deadline. If the instructor fails to designate this default grade, the Registrar will assume the grade to be an F. The resulting grade will be calculated into the student’s cumulative average. The cumulative average will be reviewed at the end of each regular semester in conformance with the academic dismissal policy.

An instructor may extend an Incomplete beyond the midsemester deadline but must obtain the approval of the Registrar prior to that deadline.

Not Graded Work

A grade of NG (not graded) will be given when a course is still officially in progress at the end of a regular semester. When the course is subsequently completed, the NG is removed and only the final grade will show on the transcript.

Repeat Course Option

Students may repeat any course they have previously taken to attempt to earn a higher grade. When a course has been repeated, the initial grade remains on the transcript but is taken out of the student’s cumulative GPA. The most recent grade will be the only one computed in the student’s cumulative average. Credit in the course may be earned only once. If the credit value of the course has changed, the repeated course is worth the new credit value.

Academic Honesty

Students are expected to be honest in all of their academic work at Johnson State College. Academic dishonesty, in any form, is prohibited and unacceptable. Acts of dishonesty for which a student may be disciplined include, but are not limited to, receiving or providing unauthorized assistance on an examination and plagiarizing the work of others in writing assignments. The American Heritage Dictionary defines plagiarism in the following way: “To steal or use (the ideas or writings of another) as one’s own.” Students are responsible for knowing what specific acts constitute plagiarism. If students are uncertain whether a particular act constitutes plagiarism, they should consult with their instructors before turning in assigned work.

Any faculty member who suspects that a student has committed an act of academic dishonesty will bring this suspicion to the attention of the student and provide the student with an opportunity to respond. If the student admits to an act of academic dishonesty, the faculty member may fail the student for the specific work submitted or for the course itself, or request that the Graduate Committee of the Faculty Assembly determine an appropriate sanction. If the student denies committing an act of academic dishonesty, the faculty member shall refer the case to the Graduate Committee for a hearing. The committee will hear evidence from the student, the faculty member and any other appropriate parties, decide whether a violation has occurred and if so, determine an appropriate penalty. Decisions of the Graduate Committee may be appealed in writing to the Academic Dean. Records of all incidents of academic dishonesty will be maintained in the Academic Dean’s Office. Repeated incidents of academic dishonesty will subject a student to dismissal from the college.

Good Academic Standing

From the beginning of his or her studies, a graduate student must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average. If a student’s cumulative grade point average drops below 3.0, the student will be placed on academic probation for one semester. If the student fails to earn a semester grade point average of 3.0 after one semester on probation, the student will be dismissed from the college.

Exits & Leaves of Absence

Leaves of Absence

Students in good academic standing who wish to interrupt their studies for up to one year may request a leave of absence by submitting an electronic “Student Exit Notification and Leave of Absence” form. The leave is not official until the request is approved by the Registrar. If a student remains on leave for more than one year, he/she must reapply to the program.

Students may apply for a Leave of Absence by completing a Student Exit Notification and Leave of Absence Form, available online on the JSC Portal under Offices & Services/Registrar Services/Leave of Absence Exit Form Processing. The leave is not official until the request is approved by the Registrar. In special circumstances, the Leave of Absence may be extended by the Registrar beyond the approved period.

Exiting from the College

A student voluntarily exiting from the college during the semester must do so formally by completing a Student Exit Notification and Leave of Absence Form, available online on the JSC portal.

The transcripts of students exiting the college after the beginning of classes and prior to the withdrawal deadline (the end of week nine) will show W grades for all courses enrolled in that semester.

The transcripts of students exiting the College after the ninth week will show A-F or P/NP grades submitted by their instructors.

Students who exit from the college may re-apply by making formal application with the Admissions Office. All previous grades recieved will be used in making an admission decision.

Involuntary Exit

In cases where the psychological or the emotional state of a student creates a clear and present danger to the well-being of the student or to other members of the college community, the Dean of Students or the College Counselor may carry out an involuntary exit of the student. An involuntary exit requires withdrawal from all courses. Students who fail to leave the campus as directed will be declared in trespass and civil authorities may be contacted. Students exiting involuntarily who wish to re-enroll in the college must reapply for admission and may be admitted only with written permission of the Dean of Students. An interview with the Dean of Students may be required.

Appeal of Academic Policies

Students may appeal any academic regulation or decision to the Graduate Committee of the Faculty Assembly and then to the Academic Dean and President of the college. Information on procedures for appeal may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.

Time Limit to Complete a Graduate Degree

A student must complete the master’s degree within five years of acceptance into the Graduate Program. Students who have not completed by that time, or have not requested and been granted an extension by the Graduate Committee, will be dismissed from the program. Transcripts of students exiting the college after the beginning of classes and prior to the withdrawal deadline (the end of week nine) will show W grades for all courses enrolled in that semester. The transcripts of students exiting the College after the 9th week will show A-F or P/NP grades submitted by their instructors.

Students who exit from the College may reapply by making formal application with the Admissions Office. All previous grades received will be used in making an admission decision. For refunds on tuition charges, please see refund policy.


Application for a Degree

A student who anticipates completing his/her degree requirements should file an application for a degree with the Registrar’s Office during the next-to-last semester. The Registrar’s Office will carry out a detailed degree audit, identifying where the student stands in relation to degree requirements and provide the audit to the student and his/her advisor. When all degree requirements are met and the student is eligible to graduate, a commencement fee will be charged to the student’s account.

Conferral of Degrees

Degrees are conferred once each year in a ceremony at the end of the spring semester. Students who complete their degree requirements at other times during the year will be certified as having completed their programs but will not actually receive their diplomas until the spring semester. Diplomas are dated August, December or May for students completing studies in summer, fall, or spring semesters respectively. Students will recieve their diplomas by mail after completion of all degree requirements is verified by the Registrar Office.

Participation in Commencement

Only students who have completed all degree requirements may participate in the commencement.. The College recognizes that there may be occasions when special circumstances arise. The student must provide an explanation in writing of the special circumstances and have no more than six credits to complete in the summer semester; and then petition the Academic Dean or his/her designee to participate in Commencement. The decision of the Academic Dean or his/her designee is final and may not be appealed to the President.

Transcript Requests

Official transcripts are available by submitting an online request at (nominal fee applies) or by emailing your request to or submitting a signed, written request to the Registrar’s Office (no charge applies). If you request a transcript by email, you will be asked to provide your signature as well.

Transcripts will not be released until all bills due the college are paid. Students requesting a transcript toward the end of any semester should indicate whether they want it sent immediately or whether it should be held until final grades are recorded. In the latter case, transcripts will not be sent out until at least the third week following the end of the semester.