Jul 15, 2020  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog

Academic Policies & Regulations

By enrolling for courses, students obligate themselves to abide by the policies set forth in this catalog and in other College publications.


Students pursuing a bachelor’s or associate’s degree from Johnson State College must be formally accepted through the Admissions Office before they may be registered for courses. Continuing undergraduates are expected to pre-register for their courses in November for the following spring semester and in April for the following summer and fall semesters. Students are notified of exact dates and instructions via email one to two weeks prior to the registration period. Distance Learning (DL) students (JSC online and EDP) receive registration materials well before the start of each semester. DL students confer with their advisors who can register them for classes. When registering for courses at institutions outside of the Vermont State Colleges, DL students submit a tuition transfer form available from the DL/EDP Office. A late fee may be assessed for registrations after the published deadline.

Class attendance does not in itself signify registration. Students must properly register for each of their courses in order to receive academic credit for work completed.

All students must meet state immunization requirements and must be cleared by Student Financial Services (see Payment Procedures  section for details) in order to register for classes.

Dual-Enrollment Consortium Agreement!

Students matriculated at Johnson State College (their home institution where they have been officially accepted) and enrolled in JSC courses may simultaneously enroll in courses at two or more VSC institutions. With the exception of the summer term, students follow the home institution’s procedures for course selection, course add/drop/withdrawals, advising, financial aid and billing. This agreement does not supersede existing Distance Learning arrangements; these arrangements remain unchanged by this agreement. For the full Vermont State College Consortium Enrollment Agreement, see “Board of Trustees”,  “Policies and Procedures” and then on the VSC website, www.vsc.edu.

Class Membership

Students are classified for academic class membership and administrative purposes on the basis of semester credits earned according to the following schedule:

Number of Credits Earned Academic Class
90 or more

Auditing Courses

No credit or grades are assigned for audited courses. A per-credit tuition fee of one-half of in-state or out-of-state rates, whichever applies, is charged. Courses that are audited do not count toward a student’s credit load and are not eligible for financial aid. Students wishing to audit a course should follow normal registration procedures, indicating AU as their grade option at the time of registering. The choice to audit a course must be made prior to the end of the add/drop period, and it does not apply to programs/courses with already reduced tuition rates (i.e., Extension courses).

Basic Skills

Recognizing that basic writing and mathematic skills are essential to successful completion of college-level work, and in accordance with the Vermont State Colleges’ Basic Academic Skills policy, Johnson State College assesses the skill level of all new students in these two areas. On the basis of this assessment, students who do not possess college-level skills in either or both of these areas are directed into courses designed to address their skill deficiencies. These courses should be taken during the student’s first year at Johnson State College.

Please note that basic skills courses whose course number begins with a “0” (i.e., MAT-0410 , Fundamentals of Algebra) do NOT count toward total credits required for graduation, although they do count in determining full-time status and semester grade point average.

Class Attendance

Students who register for a course prior to the first week of the semester or during the first day of the semester are expected to attend at least one of the first two class sessions. A faculty member may fill absent places with students wishing to enter the course and refuse entry to absent students when they appear. Faculty members may also refuse to admit a student to the class after the beginning of the semester, if they believe the student cannot complete missed work. In this case, the registered student is responsible for dropping the course from his/her schedule.

For EDP weekend courses, please note that attendance is MANDATORY at all Saturday and Sunday classes. Students should not register for these weekend courses if they know before the semester begins that they cannot attend all classes.

Course Add/Drop/Withdrawal

Students approved for online registration may add courses online until the start of the semester and drop courses online until the end of the second week of the semester, except for the summer semester, in which case students should refer to the policies and procedures specific to that program. With the exception of summer courses, all students may add or drop a course until the end of the second week of the semester by completing a Registration Adjustment Form and submitting it to the Advising and Registration Center. Second-half semester courses may be added or dropped until the end of the second week of the second half of the semester. If a course is dropped, it will be removed from the student’s academic record and may result in an adjustment to a student’s bill and financial aid. Students are encouraged to contact the Student Financial Services Office before dropping a course. After the second week of the semester and until the end of the ninth week of the semester, a student may withdraw from a course by completing a Registration Adjustment Form and submitting it to the Advising and Registration Center. If a student withdraws from a course, the course will appear on the transcript with a “W” grade and will not affect a student’s grade point average. In most cases, a withdrawal from a course does not affect a student’s bill or financial aid award. Students withdrawing or dropping all courses will be considered as departing from the college and must complete the Student Exit Notification and Leave of Absence Form. Please see Johnson State College’s Refund Policy  within this catalog.

Students registered through JSC for courses at other non-VSC institutions must drop or withdraw from courses at both colleges. Students will be charged for any tuition and fees that the other institution charges JSC.

Formally Declaring a Major

Campus-Based Students

Students who did not declare a major at the point of admission to the college must do so after earning 45 credit hours in a bachelor’s degree program, or 12 credit hours in an associate’s degree program, by submitting a Change of Major/Academic Advisor Form to the Advising and Registration Center, if they have not already done so.

Transfer Students: Students transferring in 45 credit hours or more for a bachelor’s degree, or 12 credit hours for an associate’s degree program, must declare a major within the first semester of their program by submitting a Change of Major/Academic Advisor Form to the Advising and Registration Center.

A student may declare any major officially in existence at the time the student declares a major. The Program Evaluation available on Web Services outlines all graduation requirements, including the requirements in the student’s major, and monitors the student’s progress toward completion of these requirements.

Distance Learning (DL) Students (JSC online & EDP)

DL students may choose from the following majors: business (accounting or management concentrations), childhood education (with both elementary education and special education endorsement, also referred to as inclusive elementary education, may require taking some courses on campus), interdisciplinary studies (self-designed), professional studies (self-designed), psychology (general psychology or pre-professional counseling concentrations), and wellness and alternative medicine. Other JSC programs, including elementary and secondary teaching endorsement, are available if students can take courses on the JSC campus. For details on degree requirements, see the sections in this catalog on particular academic departments.

Students majoring in professional studies or in interdisciplinary studies must prepare an individualized degree plan with the help of advisors during their first semester. Students in these majors may not graduate until their degree plans have received approval by the DL Academic Review Board. If a student has not submitted a degree plan by the last review meeting of the second semester in the program, the program’s director may recommend administrative dismissal for one semester.

Discontinued Majors

The following provisions apply with regard to discontinued majors:

  • Students who have previously formally declared a major may not at a later time switch into a major designated as discontinued.
  • Students failing to make a formal declaration of a major by the end of their sophomore year, as is required, may not at a later time declare a discontinued major.
  • Former students who are not on an approved Leave of Absence and have returned may not pursue a discontinued major.


Johnson State College employs letter grades as indicated below:

Grade Explanation Grade Points
A+ High competence 4.00
A High competence 4.00
A- High competence 3.70
B+ Good competence 3.30
B Good competence 3.00
B- Good competence 2.70
C+ Moderate competence 2.30
C Moderate competence 3.00
C- Moderate competence 1.70
D+ Minimum acceptable competence 1.30
D Minimum acceptable competence 1.00
D- Minimum acceptable competence 0.70
F Failing 0.00
I Incomplete (See Incompletes below)  
P or NP Pass/No Pass  
NG No grade indicates that no grade has yet been submitted. The grade will be recorded upon course completion.  
TR Transfer credit  
CR Credit granted (non-course work)  
W Withdrawn*  
AU Audit  

*Withdrawals are recorded by the Registrar’s Office only after receipt of an authorized course withdrawal.

In general, faculty grades are due at the Advising and Registration Center 48 hours after each course’s final examination.

Pass/No Pass Option

Students may elect to be graded on a Pass/No Pass basis. The Pass/No Pass option is designed to encourage students to take courses that they otherwise would not take for fear of receiving low grades. For performance of D- work or better, a grade of P (Pass) is recorded on the student’s record. Credit is received for P grades, but the grades do not affect the student’s grade point average. Failing work is recorded as NP (No Pass). NP grades do not earn credit nor does the grade affect the student’s grade point average. Students select this option by indicating P/NP as their grade option when they register.

Courses taken with a grade of P do not count toward requirements of the General Education Core Curriculum, EDP General Education requirements, or in general, the requirements of a student’s major or minor. In addition, students may NOT take Basic Skills courses as Pass/No Pass.


The grade of Incomplete (I) may be given to work of satisfactory quality when the amount of required work has not been completed because of illness or other reasons beyond the control of the student. A grade of I is not to be used instead of the grade of F in situations involving a student’s lack of ability or negligence. Grades of I will automatically revert to an F if a final grade, or alternate default grade, is not submitted to the Registrar’s Office prior to the Incomplete deadline submitted by the instructor. In general, grades of Incomplete are to be completed by the end of the seventh week of the semester immediately following the semester in which the Incomplete grade was given. Courses carried through with an I into the following semester do not count toward the student’s credit load for tuition billing purposes or for additional credit toward graduation.

Not Graded Work

The grade of NG may be given for a course when an instructor has not yet assigned grades for the course. This may happen when a course is still in progress at the semester deadline for grade submission. Course work carried into a second semester with a grade of NG does not count toward a student’s credit load for tuition billing purposes or for additional credit toward graduation in the second semester.

Repeat Course Option

Students may repeat, once, any course* that they have previously taken to attempt to earn a higher grade. When a course has been repeated within the Vermont State College system (VSC), the initial grade remains on the transcript but is taken out of the student’s cumulative GPA. The most recent grade will be the only one computed in the student’s cumulative average. Credit in the course may be earned only once. If the credit value of the course has changed, the repeated course is worth the new credit value.  A student must petition the Registrar to repeat a course more than one time.

When repeating a course at another institution outside of the VSC, the initial grade remains on the transcript but is taken out of the student’s cumulative GPA. The grade from the repeated course being transferred to JSC will show as a transfer but will not be counted in the student’s cumulative GPA.

Students may choose to use the Pass/No Pass option when registering for a repeat course, except for courses in their major or minor, in the General Education Program, or for basic skills courses (see Pass/No Pass option). If a grade of NP is earned, however, the repeat will not count. If a course was originally taken under a prior grading system, the effect on the student’s average will be determined by using the new system.

*Some courses as indicated in the Course Descriptions  section of the catalog may be taken multiple times for credit.

Auditing a Course

No credit or grades are assigned for auditing courses. For additional information, refer to the previous section on auditing courses.

Credit Granted (CR) for Non-Course Work

Students who are granted credit on the basis of CLEP examinations, military credit, lifetime experience portfolios, AP courses or other similar circumstances (as determined by Johnson State College) will receive a CR in the grade field. CR distinguishes the credit from TR, which is used for credits that are transferred in from another college or university.


Application for Degree

The responsibility for your education ultimately rests in your own hands. Likewise, the timely completion of the paperwork associated with the award of your degree is your responsibility as well. Failure to take the required steps for application for degree may delay your graduation, even if all other graduation requirements have been completed. Students should access their program evaluation (via Web Services on the Portal) regularly to see where they stand in relation to degree completion.

Only students who are currently matriculated may graduate. Students absent from the College, and not on a Leave of Absence, who are seeking to complete a degree with Johnson courses must apply for readmission.

A student who anticipates completion of his/her degree requirements should file a Graduation Application through Web Services. After receiving the Graduation Application, the Registrar’s Office will carry out an official degree audit. This may allow time for the student to pick up additional courses or complete outstanding paperwork during his/her last semester if necessary. In completing the degree audit, the Registrar’s Office will identify where the student stands in relation to completion of degree requirements. The results of the degree audit will be given to the student and to his/her advisor. Note: A Graduation Application/Application for Degree fee will be charged to the student’s account upon submission of the Graduation Application.

Conferring of Degrees

Degrees are conferred once each year in a Commencement ceremony at the end of the spring semester. Diplomas are dated August, December or May for students completing studies in summer, fall or spring semesters respectively. Students will receive their diplomas in the mail after completion of all degree requirements is verified by the Registrar’s Office.

Participation in Commencement

Only students who have completed all degree requirements will be allowed to participate in the Commencement ceremony. The College recognizes that there may be occasions when special circumstances arise. Under such unusual circumstances, students may petition the Provost or his/her designee to participate in Commencement. Students must, however, be within 6 course credits or a single experience (such as an internship or a Graduation Standard) of completing all graduation requirements. No other exceptions will be considered. The decision of the Provost or his/her designee is final and may not be appealed to the President.

Students participating in the Commencement ceremony will be required to wear a cap and gown, which can be ordered through the College bookstore.

Graduating with Distinction

Effective for the graduating class of spring 2006, of the total credits required for graduation, at least 30 graded credits for a two-year degree and 60 graded credits for a four-year degree must be earned within the Vermont State Colleges by the end of the previous fall semester. (Credits earned before 2002 are not used in this calculation unless earned from Johnson State College.) Graduating students who have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.90 or better through the fall semester of their graduation year will be awarded their degree “summa cum laude.” Those who earn a 3.70 average will be awarded degrees “magna cum laude.” Those who earn a 3.50 average will be awarded degrees “cum laude. (If the above standards are obtained by the end of the spring semester of the graduating year, the appropriate distinction is recorded on the diploma and transcript but is not acknowledged at Commencement.)

Graduation honors for certificate programs require final, cumulative GPA as follows: honors, 3.00-3.49; high honors, 3.50 or above.

Academic Honesty

Students are expected to conform to the highest standards of academic honesty in all of their academic work at Johnson State College. Academic dishonesty in any form is prohibited and unacceptable. Acts of dishonesty for which a student may be disciplined include, but are not limited to, receiving or providing unauthorized assistance on an examination and plagiarizing the work of others in writing assignments. The American Heritage Dictionary defines plagiarism in the following way: “To steal or use (the ideas or writings of another) as one’s own.” Students are responsible for knowing what specific acts constitute plagiarism; if students are uncertain as to whether a particular act constitutes plagiarism, they should consult with their instructors before turning in assigned work.

Any faculty member who suspects that a student has committed an act of academic dishonesty will bring this suspicion to the attention of the student and provide the student with an opportunity to respond. Should the faculty member subsequently determine that the student has committed an act of academic dishonesty, he/she will assign a penalty for the offense, which may be a failing grade for the specific work submitted or a failing grade for the course. The faculty member will notify the student in writing of his/her decision, as well as the penalty associated with the act of academic dishonesty, and submit a copy of that letter to the Academic Dean’s Office. The student may appeal the penalty in writing to the Academic Status Committee (for campus-based students) or the Academic Review Board (for EDP students). Upon receiving any such appeal, the Academic Status Committee/EDPAcademic Review Board will consider evidence relative to the charge and determination, and will affirm, reverse or modify the finding and/or penalty of the faculty member. Decisions of the Academic Status Committee/EDP Academic Review Board may be appealed, in writing, to the Provost or his/her designee. The decision of the Provost or his/her designee is final and may not be appealed to the President of the College. Records of all incidents of academic dishonesty will be maintained in the Academic Dean’s Office. Repeated incidents of academic dishonesty will subject a student to dismissal from the College.

Academic Standing

Good Academic Standing

A student who has 30 or more earned or GPA credits, whichever is higher, and whose cumulative grade point average is 2.00 or above (1.75 for students with fewer than 30 earned or GPA credits, whichever is higher) is considered to be in good academic standing. The cumulative and semester averages are calculated by including only the graded credits (A, B, C, D, F) earned during the current and past semesters. These averages do not include courses bearing other grade designators (i.e., grades of Incomplete).

Incomplete Grades in Relation to GPA/Good Standing

Calculation of a semester or cumulative grade point average does not include any Incomplete grade that a student has earned during the semester. Students who receive an Incomplete grade in one or more courses during a semester are held academically liable for the completion of the course. Students who have an Incomplete grade for a semester will not be eligible for the Dean’s or President’s Lists until a final grade has been submitted for that Incomplete.

Academic Warning

A student whose cumulative average is in good standing or above but whose semester average is below good standing (see above) will receive a letter of warning from the College. There are no punitive aspects to this warning status.

Academic Probation

Academic probation serves as an official warning from the College that a student’s performance has been substandard. A student whose cumulative GPA falls below good standing (see above) shall be placed on academic probation. Students remain on academic probation until they raise their cumulative grade point average to good standing or until they fall below the dismissal standard (see “Academic Dismissal.”) Students on academic probation who have less than 30 earned or GPA credits, whichever is higher, must work with the academic probation counselor to create a plan for academic success. When a student voluntarily withdraws from the College while on probation status or is academically dismissed and later readmitted, he/she will return on probation.

Academic Dismissal

Students will be academically dismissed under the following conditions:

  • Any new, first-year student with no previously earned credits who fails to achieve a grade point average of at least 0.70 in the first semester will be academically dismissed.
  • Students on academic probation will be academically dismissed if they fail to achieve a semester grade point average of 2.00 having 30 or more earned or GPA credits, whichever is higher (1.75 having fewer than 30 earned or GPA credits, whichever is higher), during the semester on probation.

Students academically dismissed may reapply for admission generally after two regular semesters of absence. Students must follow the regular procedure for application to the College for re-admission and will remain on probation upon their return.

Appeal Process for Academic Dismissal

A student who has been academically dismissed may appeal his/her academic status by writing a letter to the Academic Status Committee (for campus-based students) via the Advising and Registration Center or to the EDP Academic Review Board (for EDP students). This letter of appeal should include any mitigating or extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to the poor academic performance. Decisions of the Academic Status Committee/EDP Academic Review Board may be appealed to the Provost or his/her designee, then to the President of the College.

Students who successfully appeal academic dismissal may be placed on stipulated probation and may be required to sign a contract to abide by conditions set forth by the Academic Status Committee or the Provost or his/her designee. Failure to comply with any portion of the contract/stipulations may result in immediate dismissal from Johnson State College.

Academic Progress Alerts

Faculty teaching 1000- and 2000-level courses complete online Academic Progress Alerts during the third week of the semester on all freshmen in those courses. The purpose of the alerts is to let students know early on how they are doing in their classes so that they can take corrective action if necessary. Using the Academic Progress Alerts, faculty give both positive and negative feedback relative to class attendance and participation, homework assignments, tests, etc.

Academic Forgiveness

Johnson State College recognizes that some academically able students for various reasons have poor previous academic records. A student who has been out of college for at least two academic years may appeal to the Provost or his/her designee at the end of the first semester of subsequent attendance in good standing (generally a 2.00, see Good Academic Standing policy within this catalog) at JSC to have a previous semester set aside. The decision of the Provost or his/her designee, will be final and may not be appealed to the President of the College.

Setting aside a previous semester is done by notation on the permanent JSC transcript, not by removing any previous course or grade. Grades of C and above, and the credits derived from those grades, will remain. Grade history will be removed from cumulative totals only, and grades cannot be ameliorated if they have already been included in calculations for awarding a degree.

Academic Honors (President’s/Dean’s List)

Matriculated (degree-seeking) students who complete 12 or more Vermont State College graded credits in a single semester and who have no Incomplete, NP, F or blank grades are eligible for the President’s and Dean’s List under the following standards:

  • Students who achieve a 4.00 semester average will be placed on the President’s List.
  • Students who achieve between a 3.50 and 3.99 semester average will be placed on the Dean’s List.

Honors Convocation

Every spring, the College hosts Honors Convocation, an event at which the College and departments award prizes and scholarships to students who have distinguished themselves in the classroom, in the community and on the playing field.

Transfer of Credit

Transfer within the Vermont State Colleges System

College-level credits earned with a grade of C- or better at any VSC degree-granting institution prior to summer 2002 are fully transferable to JSC. These transfer credits do not count in a student’s GPA. Credits earned at any VSC degree-granting institution during and after summer 2002 are not considered transfer credit but rather institutional credit, and, therefore, grades earned are counted in a student’s GPA. Each credit taken in fulfillment of a GEC requirement at another VSC institution counts toward fulfillment of GEC requirements at JSC in appropriate categories.

If a student leaves one VSC institution while on academic probation and is accepted at another VSC institution, his/her academic probation status goes with him/her.

Transfer of Credit from Other Institutions

(See “Transfer Credit Policy and Procedures” at www.jsc.edu/TransferCreditPolicy.)

In order to be eligible for the transfer of credits from other institutions, you must be a matriculated (degree-seeking) student at Johnson State College. Matriculated students at Johnson State who wish to take courses at other institutions and have credits transferred to Johnson State are encouraged to have a conversation with their academic advisor before registering. Transfer credits will not be accepted from non-matriculated students.

Transfer credit may be granted by Johnson State College for college-level courses completed with the equivalent of a grade of C- or better at regionally accredited or officially approved institutions of higher education. Credit for a D in a course may be granted if the second semester of a two-semester, sequential course is completed with a C- or better. In addition, for transfer students holding a two-year associate’s degree from an accredited institution, credits applied to that degree will be accepted as transfer credit. Credits earned in a quarter system count as two-thirds of a semester credit. The grades attached to credits accepted in transfer are not calculated in a student’s cumulative grade point average.

Johnson State requires that a student accumulate at least 39 credits of upper-level work in order to graduate. Transfer credits are normally accepted as lower-level credits. Students who believe that transferred credits were upper-level work should present documentation (usually in the form of a catalog from the transferring institution) to the Registrar’s Office for consideration.

Credits accepted for transfer are not necessarily accepted as meeting requirements in a student’s major or for General Education requirements.

The Registrar will evaluate credits for experiential learning and credits from unaccredited institutions to determine their applicability toward graduation requirements.

Other Ways to Earn Academic Credit

Assessment of Prior Learning

Learning acquired through work or other non-college experiences may be assessed for college credit. Students can take one of two courses through Community College of Vermont (CCV) that guides students through the process of describing and documenting their experiential learning in a portfolio. This document is then reviewed for credit by an Advance Standing Committee composed of appropriate faculty and professionals. Approved credits, which are awarded through the Office of External Programs, are considered transfer credits, and do not count toward a student’s grade point average. The Registrar, in consultation with faculty and staff of the appropriate departments, will evaluate these credits to determine their applicability toward graduation requirements.

The two CCV courses that help students through the portfolio process are listed below.  EDU-1225, Focused Portfolio Development (1 cr.), is the better option for students who may have more focused or limited experience and are looking to request no more than 12 credits in a single academic area.  EDU-1240, Assessment of Prior Learning (3 cr.), is more suited for students who may have many years of experience in more than one field and are expecting to request more than 12 credits.

EDU 1225 - Focused Portfolio Development

Credits: 1

This course provides students with the opportunity to request credit for college-level learning gained by professional experience, training, or independent study. Students will explore, articulate, and document their learning by developing a focused portfolio requesting up to twelve course credits and four practicum credits in a specific academic discipline. Credit requests will be reviewed by the VSC Office of External Programs. Recommended prior learning: English Composition  or equivalent writing skills, and fundamental computer skills. Students must consult an academic advisor before enrolling.

Prerequisites: Students must meet basic skills policy requirements. No other course prerequisites required.

*Before enrolling, students should consult the Academic Support Services Office in Dewey Hall at 802-635-1259.

EDU 1240 - Assessment of Prior Learning

Credits: 3

This course provides an opportunity for students to earn college credit for prior learning acquired either on the job, through independent study, or in other settings. Students explore past learning experiences and identify future educational goals. Students develop an individual portfolio describing and documenting college-level prior learning. Upon successful completion of the course, students may submit their portfolios to the VSC Office of External Programs for review of credit requests. Recommended prior learning: English Composition  or equivalent writing skills, and fundamental computer skills. Students must consult an academic advisor before enrolling.

Prerequisites: Students must meet basic skills policy requirements. No other course prerequisites required.

*Before enrolling, students should consult the Academic Support Services Office in Dewey Hall at 802-635-1259.

Credit by Examination

Students attending one of the five institutions of the Vermont State Colleges, or members of the military, can sign up for one of two testing options which are offered through the Prior Learning Assessment office in Montpelier as follows:

  • The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers more than 30 tests in areas such as composition, literature, history, social sciences, science, mathematics, business, and world language.  Check www.clep.org (http://www.clep.org) for more information.
  • The DSST Program (formerly DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) helps you receive college credits through more than 30 exams in college subject areas such as social sciences, mathematics, applied technology, business, physical sciences, and humanities. Check www.getcollegecredit.com (http://www.getcollegecredit.com) for more information.

Testing is straightforward and reasonably priced.  You pay only the testing fee per test.  Tests carry three to six credits.  Check the list of available tests and make your testing appointment by calling 802-828-4064.  Tests are computer-based and are administered at the Prior Learning Assessment Office in Montpelier.  Pre-testing practice materials are available to help you test successfully.  Most test outcomes are available instantly.

Note:  Students who are granted credit on the basis of College Level Examination Program (“CLEP”) examinations, military credit, lifetime experience portfolios, AP courses, or other similar circumstances (as determined by the institution where the student is matriculated) shall receive “CR” in the grade field.  CR distinguishes the credit from TR, which is used for credits that are transferred in from another college or university.


Internship placements exist for matriculated students who wish to gain practical experience in a particular field. Internships are individually designed to meet the needs of students. Each student is assigned a faculty member from JSC and a site supervisor to ensure successful completion of the work experience. The eligibility requirements for participation in an internship are established by the faculty in each academic department. Internships in every major, at both upper and lower levels, are available for one through 12 credits; each credit hour represents a minimum of 40 work hours (except for HTM internships, which require 80 hours per credit). Internships are graded on a Pass/No Pass basis only. In addition to regular, per credit tuition charges, a $45 internship fee will be assessed and charged to the student’s account. [Students should make arrangements for their internship and submit the completed internship application in the semester prior to the semester in which the internship begins.]

Independent Study

Independent studies are more academic and research-based in nature and often replace a regular course. Each student pursuing an independent study works under the direct and regular supervision of a faculty member. The goals, objectives and performance measures for independent studies are defined in a formal contract between the faculty supervisor and the student, and approved by the Provost or his/her designee. For all students, a maximum of 21 credits of independent study can be taken during pursuit of a bachelor’s degree. In addition to regular per credit tuition charges, a $30/credit fee will be assessed and charged to the student’s account.

Students receiving veterans’ educational benefits must comply with specific V.A. regulations with regard to independent study. (See Veterans’ Benefits )

Summer Course Offerings

Johnson State College offers courses online, in the community, and on campus during the summer. See the Summer Bulletin and the JSC website for specific course information, rates and registration procedures.

Tuition for summer is charged at the regular in-state rate for Vermont residents and at 150 percent of the in-state rate for all out-of-state students.

National Student Exchange

The National Student Exchange (NSE), coordinated out of the Advising & Registration Center, is a network of nearly 200 institutions of higher education in the United States and Canada. Through NSE, JSC students who meet eligibility requirements can spend a semester or a year at one or more of these institutions, earning credits toward their JSC degree. In addition, international exchange opportunities are available through participating institutions that open their study abroad programs to NSE exchange students. Following a semester or year exchange, students return to JSC to complete their degrees.

Taking Courses as a Non-Degree Student

Non-degree students are students who wish to take one or more undergraduate courses at JSC for college credit but who are not formally admitted as matriculated (degree-seeking) students. To be eligible to enroll in courses as a non-degree student, students must have a high school diploma or a GED. Students who wish to enroll as a non-degree student should request registration information from the Advising and Registration Center. Non-degree students may enroll in all courses listed in the catalog, if space is available. In most cases, non-degree students are ineligible for state, federal or college-sponsored financial aid; however, they may be eligible for the VSAC non-degree grant. (Graduate courses are generally available only to students who have completed a 4-year degree.)

Extension Courses

The College occasionally offers special courses to selected audiences at various locations. These courses are not listed in this catalog but are separately advertised or sponsored through agencies or other institutions.

Exiting from the College

A student voluntarily exiting from the College must do so formally and in writing by completing a Student Exit Notification & Leave of Absence Form.

The transcripts of students exiting the College after the beginning of the semester and prior to the withdrawal deadline (week nine) will show W grades for all courses enrolled in that semester. The transcripts of students exiting the College after the ninth week will show earned grades of A-F submitted by their instructors at the end of the semester.

Students who exit from the College and who are not on an approved Leave of Absence (see below) may reapply by making formal application with the Admissions Office. The W grades received will be used in making an admission decision. For refunds on room, meal plan and tuition charges, see the Refund Policy  in this catalog.

Leave of Absence

Students in good academic standing (minimum 2.00 GPA if 30 or more earned credits; minimum 1.75 GPA if fewer than 30 earned credits) may take a leave of absence from the College for up to three consecutive semesters (including summer).  Students who have not enrolled for four consecutive semesters at the College are considered inactive and must reapply for admission prior to re-enrollment.  Inactive students who subsequently return to the College may be subject to the applicable catalog degree requirements of the semester of their re-enrollment.  Students who do not have any earned JSC credits, or whose cumultive GPA is not in good standing, are not eligible for a leave of absence and must reapply to the College when they would like to resume their studies.

Requesting a Transcript

Johnson State College uses Parchment Exchange as our trusted agent for processing transcript requests as well as delivering official academic transcripts electronically. This is a “green initiative” that provides the fastest delivery time and enables tracking of delivery and receipt. For more information, see http://www.jsc.edu/offices-non-academic-departments/registrars-office/transcripts/.

Transcripts for students with past-due bills or other obligations to any of the Vermont State Colleges will not be released until all bills are paid. Students requesting a transcript toward the end of any semester should indicate whether they want it sent immediately or whether it should be held until final grades are recorded. In the latter case, transcripts will not be sent out until at least the third week following the end of the semester.

Appeal of Academic Policies

Students may appeal any academic regulation or decision to the Academic Status Committee of the Faculty Assembly (for campus-based students) or the Distance Learning (DL) Academic Review Board (for EDP and JSC Online students) and then to the Provost or his/her designee. The decision of the Provost or his/her designee is final and may not be appealed to the President unless otherwise noted.